Your Business Blocks
Brand discovery will lead your business forward.
Pick up a stack of post-its, take out a whiteboard pen, create a powerpoint slide or open your personal journal. Take this personal look with me, into the building blocks of Inspire Your® weddings and events.
I am the post-it business owner. I will quickly grab a stack to write down any advice, idea, goal or thought that comes to me, as a way to extract from my mind before it floats away onto another one. In 2015, I started with the manifestation of the “IY Idea.” In 2018, I started creating the “IY Building Blocks”. What are the building blocks? Brand Identity and Intellectual Property.
Now, that you have your tool for creating, I’ll review with you how I started my brand discovery. Here are the basic questions to ask yourself.
- What words would you use to describe yourself?
- What colors are you naturally drawn toward? (look around your house at what textiles you have, books/magazines you collect, the clothes you wear, the items you surround yourself with)
- What are my strengths and weakness? (include a few traits you want to gain on this list as well)
- What lifestyle do you thrive in? (consistent, spontaneous, routine, organic, black & white, gray)
- What experience do you prefer as a customer? (online or retail commerce, direct or indirect communication, text or visual learning, story-telling or data information)
Remember: You can only truly be authentic & sustainable in the brand you develop for your business, if it reflects who you are outside of your business.
- What is the difference between a copyright, patent and trademark? Go to https://www.uspto.gov/ and https://www.copyright.gov/ to learn what each are.
- Identity what product and/or service you offer that needs to be intellectually protected. (I have a copyright for my knowledge cards, design guide and framework guide. I have trademarks in two groups both for Inspire Your and Knowledge Box).
- Create a timeline of priority for obtaining the intellectual property. (this is an investment in for your business, so identify which is the overall umbrella as the core of your business first, then rank the rest)
Remember protect the product and/or services that will be sustainable overtime for your business, for growth/expansion.
So, even though I started my brand discovery at the beginning of creating Inspire Your®, it is never too late to carve out time to create your building blocks for a sustainable and protected business model to lead you forward.